Has it been more than six months since your last dental visit? If it has, and you’re over 40, you could be putting more than just your dental health at risk. You could be skipping out on the oral cancer screening that could one day save your life. Oral cancer is a deadly form of the disease, but it can often be spotted in its earliest stages during a routine dental examination. If oral cancer is caught early, the chances of a positive treatment outcome are dramatically increased. Unfortunately, many patients have wait too long to see a dentist, jeopardizing their ability to fight the disease. Don’t take chances with your good health; make an oral cancer screening appointment with Generations Dental Care today. Generations Dental Care can help you protect your long term oral and overall health. The experienced dentists of Generations Dental Care proudly serve patients of all ages daily throughout Concord, NH, Manchester, Epsom, Loudon, Canterbury, Hooksett, Bow, Pembroke, Boscawen, Penacook, Hopkinton, and surrounding communities.
Who Needs Regular Oral Cancer Screenings?
The risk for developing oral cancer is higher for men, but increases for both men and women with age. However, research shows that oral cancer is becoming more common among younger patients and women. Behavioral risk factors include:
- Tobacco Use: The majority of oral cancer cases are a direct result of smoking and tobacco use.
- Alcohol Use: Drinking alcohol in excess is another major risk factor for oral cancer. While an occasional glass of wine is safe, drinking an entire bottle in a single evening would put you at higher risk.
- HPV: Many experts believe the Human papillomavirus (HPV) will soon overtake tobacco use as the number one cause of oral cancer.
- Poor Nutrition: Up to half of all oral cancer cases can be due in part to poor nutrition. A diet rich in vitamins and anti-oxidants will keep your body fit and help reduce the risk of developing oral cancer.
What Are the Warning Signs of Oral Cancer?
Oral cancer can become evident in many places including: the lips, tongue, gums, cheek, and throat. It’s critically important to make an immediate appointment for an oral cancer screening if you experience any of the following:
- Mouth ulcers which do not heal after a few weeks
- Red or white spots or bleeding anywhere in the mouth
- Lumps or swellings in the mouth, head, or neck area
- Persistent sore throat or earaches
- Sudden unexplained weightloss
While it’s always important to visit a dentist regularly to maintain healthy teeth and gums, it could also be a vital step in protecting your long term health from serious conditions like oral cancer. Make your appointment for an oral cancer screening with Generations Dental Care today. Generations Dental Care is a trusted Concord family dentistry. Generations Dental Care supports the health of patients daily throughout Concord, NH, Manchester, Epsom, Loudon, Canterbury, Hooksett, Bow, Pembroke, Boscawen, Penacook, Hopkinton, and nearby areas.